A college education has become a significant expense for most families and requires careful planning. Whatever your financial situation is, we encourage you to use this information to help you understand college funding so you can navigate the financial aid process with greater ease.

State Financial Aid

States provide many financial aid opportunities to help ease the cost of a college education. Please select the state you reside in to learn about state sponsored internships, scholarships and financial aid programs for undergraduate students and assistantships, fellowships, and residency programs for graduate and professional students.


For more detailed information on state financial aid programs contact:

California Student Aid Commission
Customer Service Branch
P.O. Box 419027
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9027

Cal Grant Programs

A Cal Grant is money for college you don’t have to pay back. To qualify, you must apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by the deadline and meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as any minimum GPA requirements. Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University or California Community College, as well as qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California.

There are three kinds of Cal Grants — A, B and C — but you don’t have to figure out which one to apply for. Your eligibility will be based on your FAFSA or CADAA responses, your verified Cal Grant GPA, the type of California colleges you list on your FAFSA and whether you’re a recent high school graduate.

California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The court must have established your dependency when you were between the ages of 16 and 18. (KinGap youth, adopted youth, guardian placement, and voluntary placement may not be eligible for the Chafee Grant, unless court dependence was established, at anytime, between the ages of 16 and 18). The California Department of Social Services will verify your foster youth eligibility status

Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant Program (LEPD)

The Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant Program provides need-based educational grants to dependents and spouses of: California peace officers (Highway Patrol, marshals, sheriffs, police officers), Department of Corrections and California Youth Authority employees, and permanent/full-time firefighters employed by public entities who have been killed in the performance of duty or totally disabled as a result of an accident or injury caused by external violence or physical force incurred in the performance of duty.

Grant awards match the amount of a Cal Grant award and range from $100 to $12,192 for up to four years.

Applications are accepted throughout the academic year.

For further information, please contact the Specialized Program Unit at the address below:

California Student Aid Commission
Specialized Programs
P.O. Box 419029
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9029
(888) 224-7268 Option #3
FAX (916) 526-7977

Middle Class Scholarship

The Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) provides undergraduate students, including students pursuing a teaching credential, with family incomes and assets up to $177,000 a scholarship to attend University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) campuses.

Golden State Teachers

The Golden State Teacher Grant Program (GSTG) encourages students to consider earning a teaching credential and teach in a high-need field, at a priority school, in California for four years, within five years after completing a teacher preparation program. The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) will award $20,000 Golden State Teacher Grants to over 4,400 eligible students across California, that are enrolled in a Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) approved teacher preparation program on or after January 1, 2020. Applicants must agree to all terms and conditions of the GSTG program or be required to repay the grant.

California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program (CNG EAAP)

If you are an active member in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia you may be eligible for a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve your skills, competencies, and abilities.

To qualify, you must:

Be an active member who has served two (2) years in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia;

Agree to remain an active member throughout the participation period in the program;

Agree to use the award to obtain a certificate, degree, or diploma that you currently do not possess;

Be enrolled in, registered at, or accepted to a qualifying institution;

Agree to maintain enrollment of a minimum of three (3) academic units per semester, or the equivalent, at a qualifying institution;

Agree to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA); and

Be a resident of California for at least one year.


The enrollment period for initial applicants is April 15 through April 14 of the following year. The Priority Deadline is June 15. After June 15, applications will continue to be accepted through April 14; however, entry into the program will be granted on a “first come-first serve” basis until all awards are exhausted.

Initial applicants must submit an online or paper application, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and the Statement of Understanding (SOU) which are all available with the following links:

CNG EAAP Application – online

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The Statement of Understanding (Print and hand deliver to your commanding officer for signature.)

CNG EAAP Application (paper version)

Initial applicants must submit all three items for a complete application,

1. EAAP application

2. Free Application for Federal Student Aid

3. Statement of Understanding

You can download the FAFSA at www.federalstudentaid.ed.gov or call 1-800-433-3243 to have one mailed to you.


The enrollment period for renewal participants is January 15th through June 1st of each year. Submit the Renewal Application and the Statement ofUnderstanding (SOU), available on the links below, to the military department by June 1. CNG EAAP Application – online

The Statement of Understanding (Print and hand deliver to your commanding officer for signature.)

CNG EAAP Application (paper version)

To learn more, read the Applicant’s Fact Sheet or contact The Office of The Adjutant General, Joint Force Headquarters at:

Office of The Adjutant General
Joint Force Headquarters
Attn: Katrina Beck
9800 Goethe Road, Box 37
Sacramento, CA 95826
(916) 854-4255

For more information go to: www.calguard.ca.gov