A college education has become a significant expense for most families and requires careful planning. Whatever your financial situation is, we encourage you to use this information to help you understand college funding so you can navigate the financial aid process with greater ease.

State Financial Aid

States provide many financial aid opportunities to help ease the cost of a college education. Please select the state you reside in to learn about state sponsored internships, scholarships and financial aid programs for undergraduate students and assistantships, fellowships, and residency programs for graduate and professional students.



The following are financial aid programs available to students who are residents of the state of Hawaii. For more detailed information on state financial aid programs contact the financial aid office at the college of your choice or your high school guidance counselor.

Hawaii Student Incentive Grant (HSIG)

Awarded to students who are bonafide residents of Hawai’i and based on exceptional financial need and availability. It is currently known as the Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP) Program

State Higher Education Loan

Low-interest rate loans for financially needy undergraduate and graduate/professional students who are bonafide Hawaii residents.

Hawaii State Tuition Waivers

A limited number of tuition waivers are available to resident and non-resident students who demonstrate financial need, merit, or service.

Manoa Opportunity Grants

Awarded to students based on financial need and availability.

Pacific Islander Scholarship

To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:

  • Be a legal resident of American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, or a citizen of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Cook Islands, Futuna, Kiribati, Nauru, New Caledonia, Nuie, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Wallis.
  • Demonstrate financial need. Financial need is demonstrated by applying for financial aid, using the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
  • Be a new student entering UH Manoa in Fall 2007 or later, or returning to UH Manoa in Fall 2007 or later after taking a break from enrollment at UH Manoa.
  • Enroll as a classified student in either an undergraduate, graduate or post-baccalaureate program, John A Burn’s School of Medicine, or the William S. Richardson School of Law.
  • Enroll at least half time (Undergraduates – 6 credits; Graduates – 4 credits; Post-baccalaureate – 6 credits; Medical Students – 6 credits; Law Students – 6 credits)