A college education has become a significant expense for most families and requires careful planning. Whatever your financial situation is, we encourage you to use this information to help you understand college funding so you can navigate the financial aid process with greater ease.

State Financial Aid

States provide many financial aid opportunities to help ease the cost of a college education. Please select the state you reside in to learn about state sponsored internships, scholarships and financial aid programs for undergraduate students and assistantships, fellowships, and residency programs for graduate and professional students.


For more detailed information on state financial aid programs contact:

Washington State Higher Education Coordinating Board

917 Lakeridge Way

P.O. Box 43430

Olympia, WA 98504-3430


Go to the following:




Please visit this website for ALL the information about each of the different programs.

The following are financial aid programs available to students who are residents of the state of Washington.

American Indian Endowed Scholarship

The American Indian Endowed Scholarship helps financially needy students with close social and cultural ties to a Native American community to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies.

To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have demonstrated financial need based on a completed FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid
  • Be a Washington state resident
  • Enroll full-time as an undergraduate or graduate student in an eligible program
  • Not be pursuing a degree in theology

You can use the scholarships at public two- and four-year colleges and universities, and accredited independent colleges, universities, and career schools in Washington.

How do I Apply?

American Indian Endowed Scholarship Application

Washington College Bound Scholarship

The College Bound Scholarship provides hope and incentive for students and families who otherwise might not consider college as an option because of its cost.

The amount of the scholarship will be based on tuition rates at Washington public colleges and universities and will cover the amount of tuition and fees (plus $500 for books) not covered by other state financial aid awards.

Low-income 7th and 8th grade students who sign a pledge by June 30 of their 8th grade year are eligible. Students promise to graduate from high school, demonstrate good citizenship, and seek admission to a college or university. Family income will be re-checked and college admission confirmed after the student graduates from high school.


E-mail: collegebound@wsac.wa.gov
Phone: 1-888-535-0747

Educational Opportunity Grant

The Educational Opportunity Grant (EOG) program provides $2,500 grants to financially needy, place bound Washington residents as an incentive to complete a bachelor’s degree at an eligible four-year college. Students must have already earned an associate of arts or sciences degree or achieved junior class standing.

Students who meet the following criteria will be considered for the grant:

  • Have place bound circumstances. The program defines place bound as having personal barriers, such as family or employment commitments, health concerns, financial inability, or other similar factors, that make it difficult to continue an education at a four-year college. In general, place bound students either have to relocate or are unable to relocate to attend college due to personal barriers.
  • Be a Washington resident.
  • Have at least junior standing before your first term of enrollment at an eligible four-year college – by either completing an associate of arts or sciences degree, or earned credits.
  • Have financial need, as determined by the financial aid office at the college you plan to attend.
  • Be a junior or senior transfer student. You cannot receive EOG to continue at your current college.

For more information:
Educational Opportunity Grant
Higher Education Coordinating Board
Phone: 360.596-4803

Health Professional Loan Repayment and Scholarship

To be eligible, the site must either be located in a Federal Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA), or have a HPSA designation.

To find out if your site qualifies you can go to: www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/ocrh/HPSA/hpsa1.htm. The site must meet the HPSA requirement and also have an implemented, posted Sliding Fee Discount Schedule.

Passport to College Promise Scholarship

Created by the state of Washington, the Passport to College Promise Scholarship program encourages foster youth to prepare for and succeed in college.

You are eligible for this program if:

  • You spent at least one year in foster care after
    your sixteenth birthday.
  • You emancipated from foster care on or after
    January 1, 2007.
  • You will be enrolled at least half-time in an eligible college by the time you turn 21.
  • You are a Washington resident.
  • You are not pursuing a degree in theology.
  • You have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree.

State Need Grant

The State Need Grant (SNG) program helps the state’s lowest-income undergraduate students pursue degrees, hone skills, or retrain for new careers. Students can use the grants at eligible institutions (public two- and four-year colleges and universities, and many accredited independent colleges, universities, and career schools) in Washington

To be eligible, you must:

· Have a family income of equal to or less than 70 percent of the state median (see chart below).

· Enroll as an undergraduate student in an eligible program, at a minimum of 3 credits.

· Be pursuing a first bachelor’s degree, a certificate, or first associate degree.

· Not be pursuing a degree in theology.

· Not have exceeded five years of SNG term usage or exceeded 125% of program length.

· Not owe a repayment to another student aid program.*

State Need Grant Program, Higher Education Coordinating Board

Email: finaid@wasc.wa.gov

Phone: 360-753-7850

Washington Scholars

The Washington Scholars program recognizes the accomplishments of four high school students in each of the state’s 49 legislative districts, three Washington Scholars and one Washington Scholar-Alternate.

Because of reduced state revenues, the state’s biennial budget does not include monetary awards for new Washington Scholars in 2011 and 2012. Scholars selected in earlier years will continue to receive the monetary benefit.

The Washington Scholars program is intended to honor the achievements of some of our state’s most exemplary high school students, even in years when budgetary constraints preclude financial awards.

Principals of in-state public and private high schools nominate the top 1 percent of their graduating class for Washington Scholars recognition on the basis of academic achievement, leadership, and community service. The nomination materials are distributed in late November.

Resulting candidate applications are due back to the Higher Education Coordinating Board (HECB) in January – postmarked no later than the Tuesday after the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. It is recommended that application packets be mailed using Express Mail, FedEx, UPS, or certified with a return receipt to ensure a mechanism for tracking delivery to the HECB.

A committee comprised of high school principals and college administrators makes the final selections. The committee meets in February to score the applications. Award recipients generally are announced in mid-March.

State Work Study

The State Work Study program helps students from low- and middle-income families earn money for college while gaining experience whenever possible in jobs related to their career goals. Students can use the grants at public two- and four-year colleges and universities and many accredited independent four-year colleges and universities.

To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have demonstrated financial need based on a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
  • Enroll at least half-time as an undergraduate or graduate student in an eligible program; and
  • Not be pursuing a degree in theology.

Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) Student Exchange

Washington residents can enroll in eligible programs in
14 western states at reduced tuition rates through the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) student exchange programs.

Participating states include: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.

For more information:

Go to: Student Exchange Program (WICHE)

Phone: 303.541.0214
E-mail: info-sep@wiche.edu


E-mail: WICHE Programs (HECB)
Phone: 360-753-7846

Remember to go to the website for more information.